What is Special Needs Information Peel?

1. What is Special Needs Information Peel (SNIP)?
Special Need Information Peel (SNIP) is a free information line funded by the provincial government under the Child and Family Services Act, Developmental Services Act, and information on, or linkages to related services. We have a database that can search by agencies names, age supported and type of disability. For more information contact the Information & Referral phone line: 905-890-9432.

What is Dual Diagnosis

2. What is Dual Diagnosis?
An individual with Dual Diagnosis has both a developmental disability and mental health needs. In some other context Dual Diagnosis refers to mental health and addiction combined. 

Who do we serve

3. Who do we serve?
We serve agencies, families and individuals with developmental disabilities by giving information on services in Peel/Halton Region for children, families, and people with developmental disabilities.

How do families get connected

4. How do families find out about services?
Families can receive information in a variety of ways. They can call the telephone information line at 905-890-9432 Mon-Fri 9am-5pm to speak with a Certified Information and Referral Specialist. They will review your needs and provide you with a description and contact information on services available.

What are the supports available

5. How do I talk to other people with a child who has a similar disability?
There are many Parent Associations and Parent Support Groups available. This information is available through meetings and through internet links. Parents can go and talk in a group or use the Internet to read about others experiences. Visit our special needs calendar for more community supports and opportunities. 

Starting school

6. What happens when my child is to start elementary school?
Information and contact numbers are on our website for both The Dufferin-Peel District School Board and The Peel District School Board and the French Board. Special Needs programs exist in all Boards.

Relief Supports

7. Who can help me with relief time or a break- extra supports? I want something that will be good for him/her as well as give me time.
There are many agencies that offer respite care. The needs and age of clients can help determine which agency is the best to meet your needs. Call Coordinated Information Peel for appropriate numbers. Peel Respite Services will also help families hire an Independant Respite worker. To apply please go to www.respiteservices.com/peel

What is this diagnosis

8. My Doctor has told me my child has Autism/PDD/PDD-NOS/Asperger's. What is it?

"Autism is a complex developmental disability that typically appears during the first three years of life: it is the result of a neurological disorder that affects the functioning of the brain." "Children and adults with autism typically have difficulties in verbal and non-verbal communication, with social interactions, and leisure or play activities. They find it hard to communicate with others and relate to the outside world." (Autism Society Ontario 2001) Please view Autism for services in Peel.

adult services

10. My adult child is being released from the psychiatric unit of my local hospital. They need a place to live? They cannot come home but need to be supervised or they won't use their medication.
Some Agencies serving people with Dual Diagnosis have supportive housing. Supportive housing gives the client an opportunity to learn life skills in a supervised environment.

11. My pre-teen son has had a brain injury. He needs to have someone to do things with him in a group. He needs to be socialized.
Peel Respite Services helping families requiring respite services for children and adults with developmental disabilities to make the process of recruiting and contracting their own respite workers easier.
Special Olympics , consists of Sport training, recreation and competition for males and females aged five and older who have developmental challenges.
In the Region of Peel there are recreation programs: Brampton Parks & RecreationMississauga Parks & Recreation, and Caledon Department of Recreation

12. I have an elder person in my family who needs a support group and personal care.
Call 905-890-9432 to speak with a certified Information and Referral Specialist or Health Line Peel 905-799-7700. 

13. Our family is in crisis because of problems we are having with our child, youth, or adult family member. Can you tell us where to go?
There are many agencies that provide family counselling. It can be directed at a specific age group or general counseling. Call to speak to an Information and Referral Specialist 905-890-9432