Accessing Disability Supports as a Newcomer

How you looking to access disability supports? Do any of the following apply to you or your family?

  • You're a newcomer to Canada and you're the parent or guardian of a child with a disability in need of new support
  • Your child has been recently diagnosed with a physical, developmental, learning, or temporary disability and you need support
  • You feel uncertain about the resources and supports available for your child’s disability


What should you do first? A Step-By-Step Process for Accessing Disability Supports

  1. Speak to your family doctor for more information regarding your child’s disability.
  2. Understand your child’s rights as a person with a disability through the Canadian Human Rights Commission.
  3. Connect with InfoPeel through the following methods:
    • Use Community Services DirectorySpecial Needs Services Directory to search for programs in Peel.
    • Speak to an Information and Referral Specialist by clicking “Chat with Us” at the bottom right corner of the screen or call (905) 890-9432. Our Specialists can help you search for appropriate programs, therapy services, and any other related information, services, and resources.
  4. Connect with Kids Pathways Peel (KPP) for help in navigating services for specific needs through an intake.  An intake is a phone interview conducted by an Information and Referral Specialist.  The Specialist may ask questions referring to your child’s behaviour, environment, and preferences to determine the supports best suiting your family and child’s needs.  Services can include information regarding funding, workshops, webinars, local services, and referrals to community partners.

If English is not your first language:

  • Many programs in Peel offer translation services or have a translator available.
  • Some of the languages we can provide services in include, but is not limited to: Punjabi, Urdu, Arabic, Polish, Tagalog, Spanish, Mandarin, and more.

Recognizing Accessibility-Friendly Environments

  • Look for elevator signs and ramps.
  • Look for yellow-painted curbs or curb cuts near entranceways and pedestrian walkways.
  • Seek out braille on elevator buttons, washroom signs, etc.
  • Seek out safe street crossings; eg. Intermittent sounding at crosswalks for pedestrians that are visually impaired.
  • Look for accessibility stalls in washrooms.

We’re here to help! If you require assistance, reach out to us!